Answered By: Janet Hart
Last Updated: Sep 14, 2016     Views: 16

If the case has been reported in the official Law Reports (AC, QB, Ch, Fam) then that report must be cited. These are the most authoritative reports.

If it has not, but is in the Weekly Law Reports (W.L.R.) or the All England Law Reports (All E.R.) then you would use either of these.

Finally, if it is not reported in any of the above, you would use any of the authoritative specialist series of reports.

N.B. The sequence of citations for any case starts with reports from the highest court in which the case was heard.

Related Topics

Submit a Question

Please give an e-mail address so we know where to send your answer. We will not share it.
Your Question
Your Info
Fields marked with * are required.